Courtesy of -Lake of the Woods Tourism <email@example.com>
Wed 5/8/2019 5:32 PM – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Walleye season opens Saturday, May 11th.
- As of Monday, May 6th on the main basin, miles of open water with some ice patches still floating around.
- Walleye and sauger populations strong, thus good opener expected.
- Go to will be jig and frozen shiner.
- Pike and sturgeon seasons are open and the reports are excellent.
- Numerous trophy class pike being caught.
- All pike 30-40″ must be returned with a 3 fish limit and one over 40″.
- Sturgeon and pike fishing has been excellent.
- The go-to presentation for sturgeon a 4-6 ounce no roll sinker, sturgeon rig and a few nightcrawlers or combo crawlers and frozen emerald shiners.
- Pike being caught in shallow bays.
- With cold water temps, opening day on the river is expected to be good walleye fishing.
- With stronger than normal current, bring heavy jigs if jigging.
- Mainly open water areas with some ice chunks.
- A bit of boating activity this week as open water increased.
- Resorts getting ready for May 11th opener.
- Most will be using a jig and minnow adjacent shoreline structure, points and neck down areas.